Dear visitor, our site uses technical cookies and first and third party analytical cookies.
Because the road out of the Pusteria/Pustertal Valley crossed the Isarco Valley here, Schabs has been an important meeting place since ancient times. Churches were, and still are, a meeting place.
There are three churches of considerable artistic importance in Schabs: Urlaubsstöckl Chapel on the south side of Mount Spinges, the Chapel of the Sacred Heart, which was built on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of the Tyrolean struggle for freedom, and the Parish Church of St. Margaret.
The church was enlarged in order to offer churchgoers more space, and inaugurated on October 19, 2003. The church was deliberately widened towards the west in order to affect the existing church –– the exterior as well as the interior – as little as possible. As a result of the extension, the old church now has more light and heat: the new part of the church is illuminated by the Baroque splendor of the existing church. The old church is a structure built uniformly in the late-Gothic style, made from local granite blocks. The other churches in the immediate area were also made with the same building materials: the Parish Church of Saints Philip and James in Natz, St. Nicholas in Aicha and St. Giles in Raas. The interior, however, was done in the Baroque style at the end of the eighteenth century. The church’s ceiling frescos, painted by Johann Mitterwurzer in 1787, depict the martyrdom of St. Margaret and St. Catherine. The unusually tall and slender tower, which is 72 meters in height, is also particularly noteworthy. A wonderful harmony has come into being here through the combination of old and new.