main landmark is the Tower of the Twelve (Zwölferturm)
. Since 1472, the 46-meter centrally located tower has divided the town center into two districts: the Old Town and the New Town. The silver mine in nearby Ridnauntal Valley
made Vipiteno prosperous in its time: wealthy business families like the Fuggers of Augsburg moved their businesses to Vipiteno, making an indelible mark on the look of the city.
Even today, the richly furnished townhouses in the center of town bear testimony to the city’s bustling trade in the late Middle Ages. The Town Hall – together with its Gothic Council Chamber, graced with wood paneling and beamed ceiling – was thus built between 1468 and1473. Town Hall is connected by a large atrium, where you’ll find the Mithras Stone and a Roman milestone, to a community hall, which was named after Vigil Raber, a baker's son, and what was probably the first civic theatrical publisher in the German-speaking area. Rabers’s life reflects the free spirit of the early Renaissance in the former metropolis of ore. The City Council also has a noteworthy art collection, which is open to the public.
Shopping and dining in Vipiteno
Today, city life revolves around the historical pedestrian zone. During the day there is intense activity. Shops, boutiques and markets such as the Farmers’ Market and Christmas Market set the rhythm of the seasons in this Isarco Valley trading town. One of the most beautiful cities in South Tyrol, it offers a near-perfect shopping day.
In addition, several Michelin-star restaurants
can be found in Vipiteno: the cuisine of South Tyrol meets Mediterranean fare here, just as Alpine scenery melds with Italian lifestyle.