Baroque jewel in the shadow of the mighty Odle Group
Ranui’s Church of St. John was built in 1744 near the medieval manor known as Ranuihof. The church is a part of Ranui’s geschlossener Hof (entailed farm) and is located in the Ranuiwiesen meadows right next to the farm. The Baroque jewel is gracefully set against the majestic mountain scenery, with the Odle Group in the background. This view of the Odle Group from the little Ranui church is one of the beautiful long-distance views of the Dolomites.
Ranuihof Manor had already been documented by the fourteenth century. The church’s patron saint is St. John of Nepomuk, devotions to whom appear in a cycle of paintings on the sides of the altar in the chapel. The altar of the chapel in the former hunting lodge, made of marbled wood, is the jewel of the church.
The Church of Saint John in Ranui is open to visitors, and is also available for small celebrations. The keys can be picked up at Ranuihof Manor.